Dagger in hand

A man of prodigious fortune, coming to add his opinion to some light discussion that was going on casually at his table, began precisely thus: "It can only be a liar or an ignoramus who will say otherwise than," and so on. Pursue that philosophical point, dagger in hand.

--Michel de Montaigne, Of the art of discussion.



Stab back: cmnewman99-at-yahoo.com


Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Sunday, August 25, 2002
 
ON THE OTHER HAND...
This is the most persuasive thing I've read so far against the need for war with Iraq. If anyone knows of anything that responds to Ritter's assertions, I'd like to know. The one part of his line that I don't get is the midterm election connection. I can see how going to war on the eve of a presidential election would help the incumbent, as people might be leery of switching commander-in-chief in the middle of the conflict. But Congress doesn't run the war, and I doubt that the congressional vote on whether we should go in (assuming we have one) will break down along party lines. If I'm someone who would otherwise have voted for a Democrat, I simply don't understand why the fact that we were at war would make me inclined to vote Republican. Am I missing something?


Comments: Post a Comment