Dagger in hand

A man of prodigious fortune, coming to add his opinion to some light discussion that was going on casually at his table, began precisely thus: "It can only be a liar or an ignoramus who will say otherwise than," and so on. Pursue that philosophical point, dagger in hand.

--Michel de Montaigne, Of the art of discussion.



Stab back: cmnewman99-at-yahoo.com


Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Sunday, December 15, 2002
 
I AM NOT WORTHY!: My failure to make it through the Silmarillion (I did read the section at the end about the Third Age, at least) has led to my demotion in the ranks of geekdom. It's true; I'm due for a remedial course on the history of the First and Second Ages. But before my credentials slip too far, let it be known that I did buy and read the first volume of Unfinished Tales. And Paul Kocher's Master of Middle Earth (which, by the way has an excellent essay on Aragorn). And I own the Atlas of Middle Earth. And the Tolkien Companion. And--top this--I once owned the LP of the score to the Bakshi animated LOTR film. And actually used to listen to it. And did I mention how in junior high I devised my own rune alphabet and used to write my initials in it after my signature? Or the countless hours I logged playing D&D? Oh, I'm a geek alright.


Comments: Post a Comment