Dagger in hand

A man of prodigious fortune, coming to add his opinion to some light discussion that was going on casually at his table, began precisely thus: "It can only be a liar or an ignoramus who will say otherwise than," and so on. Pursue that philosophical point, dagger in hand.

--Michel de Montaigne, Of the art of discussion.



Stab back: cmnewman99-at-yahoo.com


Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, January 10, 2003
 
Maybe next time. Paola and I just went to see Chicago. This film accomplishes something I would not have thought possible--make Catharine Zeta Jones look less sexy than Liza Minelli. Really. I mean, the comparison is inevitable. You've got the Kander & Ebb, you've got the dark bob, the stockings, the almost-Fosse choreography. You just can't watch the opening All That Jazz number without thinking of Mein Herr. And it just isn't up to par. I happen to have the DVD of Cabaret right now from netflix. I only saw it for the first time recently. And I must have rewatched that Mein Herr number 5 or 6 times. It's just so cool. And Liza--who I was first introduced to in Arthur, and who had never struck me as remotely attractive--is riveting in it. And today I'm sitting there watching Cathy ZJ, one of the most unbearably ravishing women on the planet, and I'm like, "eh." If I had the DVD right now, I wouldn't feel the burning need to see any of it again. Alright, maybe the number in the prison with the six murderesses. But I doubt I'd rewatch it more than once. I thought Rene was great, and I enjoyed her performance, but again there was nothing I feel like I have to see again. Paola saw Chicago on stage, and tells me that Bebe Neuwirth was amazing in the role of Velma. And I can imagine that. I've only seen Bebe in one film--that really bad one about the teen who's in love with Sigourney Weaver--and I thought her very sexy. Again, not as beautiful as CZJ, but more intruiging, more alluring, more...vissuta. (And I mean that in a good way.) But they would never cast her in a big movie like this, just like Patty LuPone and Mandy Patinkin would never have gotten Evita. Which is too bad. Cause sexiness is not skin deep. The skin is obviously crucial, but it's what you think you glimpse within that makes the difference.


Comments: Post a Comment