Dagger in hand

A man of prodigious fortune, coming to add his opinion to some light discussion that was going on casually at his table, began precisely thus: "It can only be a liar or an ignoramus who will say otherwise than," and so on. Pursue that philosophical point, dagger in hand.

--Michel de Montaigne, Of the art of discussion.



Stab back: cmnewman99-at-yahoo.com


Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, April 14, 2003
 
Days of miracle and wonder. So I'm sitting in my office at work, and a box opens on the screen in front of me, filed with words floating in an animated fish tank. It's my nine year old son Lucas, who wants to ask if I know of any good websites for his science project on time travel. I assume he's at home, and ask him to tell Paola that I'll be home as soon as my filing gets back from the court so I can fax it to the east coast defendants into whose hearts I wish to strike terror. He replies that he's actually not at home, but at work with Paola, who brought our laptop there for him to use. If you stop and think about it, every single one of the sentences I just wrote describes a truly miraculous way of living and doing business. We live in an age of science fiction, and we take it for granted. But sometimes it just hits me.

Oh. And at one point Lucas wrote, "I'm sorry my grammar wasn't good in that last sentence."

Into a chatbox.

That's my boy.


Comments: Post a Comment