Dagger in hand

A man of prodigious fortune, coming to add his opinion to some light discussion that was going on casually at his table, began precisely thus: "It can only be a liar or an ignoramus who will say otherwise than," and so on. Pursue that philosophical point, dagger in hand.

--Michel de Montaigne, Of the art of discussion.



Stab back: cmnewman99-at-yahoo.com


Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, July 29, 2003
 
His loss. Our gain.
I remember when Eric Clapton lost his son in that tragic accident, and a friend of mine at college remarked, "Well, at least we know he's going to be putting out a kick-ass blues album soon." Which he did. Now, I certainly wouldn't put Stephan Jenkins' break up with Charlize Theron on anywhere near the same level of traumatic experience as what Eric went through. Still, I think we can all agree: it's got to be tough. Good thing he got a kick-ass album out of it. It took me a few listens to get into, but it hasn't left my CD player since. It's the kind of album that becomes the soundtrack of your summer, that makes you want to drive around with the windows down and the stereo blasting. Which I've been doing. And as with their first album, some of the best songs are the ones you won't hear on the radio.

So, my condolences Steve. But thanks for sharing.


Comments: Post a Comment