Dagger in hand

A man of prodigious fortune, coming to add his opinion to some light discussion that was going on casually at his table, began precisely thus: "It can only be a liar or an ignoramus who will say otherwise than," and so on. Pursue that philosophical point, dagger in hand.

--Michel de Montaigne, Of the art of discussion.



Stab back: cmnewman99-at-yahoo.com


Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, November 17, 2003
 
Owl to Ms. Rowlings

I just finished Book 4. Good stuff, quite enjoyed it. But here's what I don't get. When Voldemort tried to kill Harry the first time, the curse rebounded and destroyed Voldemort's body. He remained alive in some vestigial spiritual form, but had no physical being for quite a while. Correct? I presume that when this happened, he must have dropped his wand, not having any body that could hold on to it.

So how did he get it back? Did someone retrieve it from the Potters' destroyed house for him? Who? And when? Somebody had to have retrieved and kept it for him all these years so that he would have it at the beginning of Book 4 when he finally has a body that can wield it. It couldn't have been Wormtail, who was in hiding as a rat. So who? Was there an explanation to this that I missed? It's obviously important at the end of the 4th book that this is in fact his wand, the one he'd always had. So there has to be an explanation.

Hasn't there?

UPDATE: Thanks to my good friend Beth, I have learned that I'm not the only one to be perplexed by this. None of the theories posited in this thread strike me as satisfactory, so I guess we shall have to wait and see. At this point my own best guess is that, having gone to such lengths to prevent his soul from slinking off wherever bad dead wizards go, he had also placed some enchantment on his wand that would keep it safe and retreivable in the event his body were to go poof for some reason.


Comments: Post a Comment